Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pooka update: HOME

Just a few brief words. I picked up my parents, we dashed to Crown Hill Vet Supply for a new crate, pad, and sling to help the Pooka walk. We dashed home to assemble (easy assembly, thank goodness). We dashed back into the car. And dashed to the hospital.

Met with tech to go over meds (more details later), and Dr. A to go over the X-rays. When he realized my dad (Dr. M) was savvy, he launched into a more macho explanation of his work. Gorgeous new screws (2) in her body. Nice work, Dr. A, as far as we can tell.

And then, they brought her out. She looked at me with eyes wide and ears up. We gently helped her out to the car. And that was it. She was in my care.

Since she's been home we've made two attempts to go to the bathroom -- no pooping since Saturday, but given Pooka's past poop strikes, I'm really not all that concerned, beyond the basic "are things working" knowledge. Attempt #1 yielded a squat but no action. Attempt #2, poop! Two hard little rocks. Hopefully we'll get her more comfy in the next few days, but now that I know she's willing to try even with me helping her with the sling, I'm feeling better.

She's eaten treats, both chewy and Kong; she slurped a little water when I held it to her face. She growled at neighbors. And she watched a housefly very intently, clearly wishing she were well enough to snap it out of the air.

All in all, it's still my girl. She's sacked out now, so we're going to leave her for a bit to grab a bite to eat. Thank you to all for the good wishes. Direct all cosmic vibes to her hind joints, for clean speedy healing.

No comments: