Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Will wonders never cease.

Yesterday morning, when it was time for me to leave and get Pooka into the crate, a small miracle occurred. I tipped her out of her bed (no amount of coaxing or treats will get her to stand up when she thinks it might be crate time), followed her to the living room and watched as she hesitated, and then Walked Right Into The Crate.

Today, she hesitated even less.

I don't know what's changed, but I feel more grateful than you can perhaps imagine. Even if I'm just anthropomorphizing, her anti-crate evasive maneuvers made me feel sad and anxious. I've started practicing "Pooka, kennel up!" at home when there's no actual danger of me locking the door behind her; perhaps some day she'll actually enter on command on Crate Days, too.

We had an eventful several days. Pooka met my parents and liked them, even if they couldn't tell. After all, at her most affectionate, Pooka will lean into a nice petting -- rather subtle in her enjoyment, except when it comes to chase-chase-wrestle-wrestle episodes. We all went to Magnussen for a stroll and a romp; once again, Pooka was reserved and stuck close to me in the wide-open play space, but seemed braver when we reached smaller nooks and the beach area. She chased the ball 80% of the time, I'd guess, and actually retrieved it...40%? Dad? What do you think? Go Pooka!

On Sunday, Pooka spooked when a guy came to pick up her old crate (thanks, Craigslist). She took one look at her old crate and zoomed into my bedroom and curled up in her bed -- similar to our morning ritual. Then, when I was helping him maneuver the thing out the door, she sprinted outside and into the road. I tried all sorts of "Pooka, come!" commands in various tones of voice, but it was minutes before she stopped running from me and allowed me to grab her collar. I was terrified she'd run away, or get hit. Terrified.

And of course, last night, she was the star of obedience class. She remembered "Leave it" even though we haven't practiced, and quickly learned to "Heel," though of course, she did it better next to the teacher than with me. (With me, she jumped to try to get the treat out of my hand. Maybe I'm too easy with the treats?! Naaah. She also got frustrated when I wasn't rewarding her "Sit" during a particularly long stretch of time when the teacher was talking, and impatiently slapped a paw up onto my thigh. Um, hello, missy, nice try.)

As for me, I'm warming up to the teacher. And am feeling more charitable toward his animals after one played very nicely with Pooka last night.

1 comment:

Vanillary said...

I'm so glad Pooka is settling in so well. I think dogs can take a long while to calm down. So you're doing great! I can't wait to get a dog.