Thursday, December 2, 2010

Taquito Chronicles: Food Motivation

Last night after the dogs all had dinner, I thought I'd try to do a little work with Taquito on the "go to your bed" command. So I brought out the clicker and threw some kibble in my pocket, because that little guy will work for any kind of food.

Big mistake. The first click summoned Pooka out of thin air. "Hello? I'm right here? If there's clicking, there's treating, and if there's treating, it should be in MY MOUTH?" She decided Taquito wasn't a fast enough study, so she thought she'd show him by example what "go to your bed" means. By putting her big self into his tiny bed. Emphatically. What could I do? Click, treat for Pooka.

This drove Taquito insane, and he began buzzing and jumping all around me, trying to get his nose into my pocket. End result: a snapping Pooka and a snarling chihuahua, and me desperately trying to empty my pockets so that neither of them would be trying to crawl in and get the treats.

Hopefully this weekend I'll carve out some one-on-one training time for the little guy, because clearly working with Pooka around is out of the question.

Update: I forgot to mention that he was doing really well on the peeing inside...until O. came home last night. I was dead asleep, but apparently he dashed downstairs and promptly peed on the leg of the sofa. Sigh.

No comments: