Monday, December 3, 2007

Anxious new mom all over again

Today is Pooka's first day at day care. She wasn't sure what to make of the change in weekday morning routines -- all signs pointed to "Jessica leaving, crate time" until I grabbed the leash. She had taken one step to dart into my bedroom (her first escape plan, come crate time) then stopped when she noticed something was different.

She walked very, very nicely to the car (rather than stopping and obsessively sniffing for traces of cat, as per usual). The other pups seemed to listen to the day care owner, and to be happy and wandering around. Barking some, but not distressed. As I left, the owner was leading her around the edges of the fenced-in play area, giving everyone ample time to sniff.

After hours of thinking about Pooka once every 10 seconds or so, I gave in and called to see how she was doing. Day care owner gushed about how she was running around with a ball in her mouth (huh? are you sure that's my dog?), playing chase and wrestle and being overall a Very Good Dog. Once she started talking to me, apparently Pooka came over and sat down near her.

Relieved. Assuming Pooka's reaction seems similarly positive, I have a feeling this will be worth every penny.

No comments: