Saturday, November 17, 2007

Week in Review

It's been a week now since Pooka arrived at Hazard Flats. We've both got a lot of work to do still, but I think we're getting the hang of it. I'm not going to stress about the fact that she walks a few feet in front of me, even though Cesar Millan thinks this is sending her the wrong signal about who's boss. We'll figure that out later. I'm also not going to worry that she's not pooping on purpose to avoid going home, because she seems to do it early in our walks and there's no reason for this particular neurosis to be manfesting, but I'm very poop-aware after the great crate break-out incident.

The coolest part of this is that I'm starting to really like her, and to be very proud of her. All the other doggie mamas think Pooka is adorable, and after my initial lukewarm feelings (at best) about having a wild animal snuffling ahead of me on the leash, I'm starting to agree.

This morning she was kind enough to wait until 7am to wake me to go out. GOOD DOG. I forgot we were out of food (BAD JESSICA), so after a long walk I stuck her in the crate while I got some grocery shopping done. Note to self, Ballard Market has a crap pet food selection. One bowl of overpriced Newman's Own dog food later, Pooka was anxiously pacing around the house. She didn't stop as I did dishes, put laundry away, gathered recycling and trash, so we went in and out a few times. She kept up the whimpering and pacing even after I settled down on the couch, but then I brought out the dog bed and put it in its living room position, and Miss Pooka immediately cured up and settled down without a peep. GOOD DOG. I'm going to read the paper and maybe take a nap, then gear up for a dog park session in the driving rain. That REI rain gear I bought this spring is proving invaluable. GOOD JESSICA.

No comments: